top of page
  • Writer's pictureWCMP

Dragons and Jaguars Battle in Overtime Thriller

The Dragons hosted Great River Conference foe, the Jaguars last night.

Pine City 75

Hinckley-Finlayson 72

Pine City started with the ball and quickly got themselves at 4-0 lead, before the Jaguars called a timeout. The timeout worked well for the Jags as they tied the game at 4 in less than a minute. That was the last time the Jaguars would have the game tied in the 1st half, as the Dragons took the lead and held onto it the remainder of the half. At halftime Pine City lead 32-29. The 2nd half would be much different. To begin the 2nd half the Jaguars went on an incredible 15-0 run and lead over Pine City 44-32. The Dragons also accrued five team fouls in the first two minutes of the half. It looked like the Jaguars game to lose at this point, but the Dragons made a comeback. Pine City went on a 13-2 run to drop their deficit down to two points. After the Dragons run, both teams were locked in and traded the lead many times over. Before long Hinckley-Finlayson seemingly caught fire on offense while the Dragons went wintery cold. The Jaguars held the lead till the last minute when Pine City's Luke Wilson hit a three point shot, and now the lead had once again changed hands 65-64. The Dragons had a chance to close out the win, but after an inbound pass Caleb Fromm would turn the ball over and the Jaguars capitalized and had the lead 66-65. Now with under 10 seconds left Pine City was in desperate need of a basket. Luke Wilson would be fouled on the inbound pass and he would go to the free throw line. Wilson made one of two at the line and with seconds left H-F would have one last chance to break the tie. Cyliss LaFave, who lead the Jags in scoring, would take it down the court. While he momentarily lost the ball he quickly grabbed it back, but time had run out and the game went to overtime. In the overtime period the only points not scored at the foul line came from H-F Trey Visser, as he hit a three to make it a one point game. The Jaguars trailed 73-72. With under thirty seconds left the Dragons were back on offense but Fromm was quickly fouled and he went to the line to try and seal the game. Fromm hit both free throws, but there was still time left for the Jaguars to tie it once again. LaFave would get the final shot for his team but it was off the mark and Pine City won 75-72.

With the win the Dragons improve to 9-3 on the season, and will take on the 7-2 Tigers in Rush City on Friday night. The Jaguars fall to 4-7, and will be in East Central on Friday night.

74 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page